26 May 2010

Adventures in Hair Cutting

Granted the concept of a 'hair cut' may not sound that exciting... but it was definitely a new experience. For 16 years I had my hair cut by the same person... she understood my hair, as much as someone can understand hair; so going to someone new - it was scary.

Now I had noticed that this one section of an outdoor mall that is nearby had numerous hair salons... but not only was I dealing with finding someone new; well it was also going to be nice if they spoke a decent amount English. What you quickly learn is that if you pause in front of a store/business then you are greeted by a clerk or individual (in this case a stylist) who will point out any and everything about their product or service.

And pausing and looking... and really wanting to remove weight from my head.... I thought, what the heck it is only hair. It grows back and besides mine spends 90% of the time wet (humidity and thick hair... not an ideal combination). So told him that I wanted a wash and cut - $24 Sing dollars (about $16 US).

His name is James; he is Korean; lives in Malaysia; commutes by MRT (train) 90 min. each day to work in Singapore but likes living in Malaysia better (for one it is less expensive). He speaks little English, however, I speak no Korean or Malay so I think that makes us operating on pretty much the same level.

The novelty of their hair cut begins from sitting in the chair. You don't go to a sink to have your hair washed, instead they use the equivalent of plastic mustard and ketchup squeeze bottles to first squeeze shampoo on to your 'dry' hair and then add water, not really a whole lot - and I was thinking a lot of interesting thoughts, like that was just a little water for my hair. However to my amazement a little does go a long way, as he began to work my hair and shampoo, it took little time to have it very lathered up... but that was just the beginning. For the next 10-15 minutes I received a very intensive scalp, temple, neck and shoulder massage. And we are taking neck massage that sends tingles up and down the spine. I had no realization a scalp could be massaged so. IF my hair wash and cut had ended there I would have left a content and happy person. As the lather worked up he would take large handful out and deposit them in a nearby sink...

When it finally came time to rinse we did go to a rinse sink, but with the rinsing came more of the neck and scalp massage; 'relax and let my muscles do the work' --- okay I can do that.

The actually cutting of my hair (which turned out well) was really an anti-climax to the wash. So when I went to pay, I figured... okay I miscommunicated what I wanted and this massage was going to cost me....NOPE it was still $24. I don't know about any of you, but I have never paid that price (so little) for a hair cut much less a massage.

Needless to say, I will be back. James works everyday except Mondays. I believe I have found someone in Singapore to cut my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment